The history of the Dyer Police Department began with the incorporation of the Town of Dyer in 1910, at which time a Town Marshal System was implemented. Marshals were appointed by the Town Board and served at the discretion of the Town Board. The Town Marshal System was in place until May of 1971 when Dyer residents voted in favor of the formation of a Metropolitan Police Commission. The first Dyer Metropolitan Police Commission consisted of Gordon Werth, Leroy Cataldi, and Eugene Anderson. The Dyer Metropolitan Police Department became effective July 1, 1971 with a Chief of Police and six Sworn Officers
The Dyer Police Department currently has 26 full time Sworn Officers. Also serving the Department as civilian employees are four full time radio operators, onepart time radio operator, three full time clerical employees, and four school crossing guards.
Dyer’s population is expected to increase dramatically. It’s incorporated boundary continues to grow south as development is annexed. The Dyer Police Department is committed to growing with its community. It is a community that we are proud to Serve and Protect.