Burglary Prevention and Tips
Northwest Indiana has been experiencing burglaries in the recent months, with Dyer having four with in the past four months.
Northwest Indiana has been experiencing burglaries in the recent months, with Dyer
having four with in the past four months. There have been reported two types of
burglaries occurring in the area. The first occurs during the daytime, when most people
are at work. This type of burglary has been reported to having the front door kicked open
and targets televisions, laptops, and any other portable items. The second type of burglary
occurs over night, when the residents are typically home sleeping. This type of burglary
occurs with the perpetrator commonly entering through an attached garage and then into
the home through the unlocked interior door. This burglary typically targets anything
they can carry, including purses, keys to vehicles, etc. Recent reports detail the
perpetrators have taken keys to vehicles and leaving the scene with the home owner’s
vehicle(s). Those vehicles are then used in further criminal activity.
Burglaries many times do not involve violence. However, if you happen to come home
during a burglary or wake up and surprise a burglar, the situation can become deadly very
Fortunately for us, burglary is a crime of opportunity that, in most situations, can be
prevented. By eliminating the opportunity, you can protect your home and family.
Below are some helpful tips how to prevent a burglary.
• Keep lights and radios on timers. Noise inside the home is an effective
• Use quality locks and doors. Make sure that they are installed properly;
• Keep your property well lit, inside and out;
• Talk to your neighbors about keeping an eye on your home and vice-versa.
• All exterior doors should be steel clad or made of solid wood core
construction. A deadbolt lock is useless on a hollow or foam core door that
can easily be kicked or pushed in.
• LOCK all doors, including garage service and interior doors, and sheds.
• LOCK the inside garage door which leads to your home.
• DO NOT place empty television, DVD, surround sound boxes outside for
trash pick up. This only lets the burglar know what you just bought.
• DO NOT leave your car keys inside your vehicle
• DO NOT leave you purse, wallet, or keys within plain sight or easily
• Call the police on ANY suspicious activity you see at your or your neighbor’s
• Change your routine periodically (ie: come home for lunch, leave at different